Return to the homepage....Return to Costumes

Wedding Gown

Last update: March 23, 2010


I was honored to make the wedding dress for this lovely bride, Julia McBride

The pattern Julia selected was Butterick B4827. She wanted three alterations - for it to tie up the back, have a fuller skirt/train and longer, more romantic sleeves. I took the pattern and as you can see here, taped together a shape of other pattern pieces to make the train. This was the first fitting. I made the dress in a green fabric first so that Julia could reuse the pattern dress if she wanted.
The train came out just as she wanted it to! The back lacing worked as well And our plan to have her be able to hold the train while she danced was coming together as well.
Niether of us were happy with the sleeves. They were just too short. The plan was that I would add a few inches in the final version. Though the top of it worked with the slight gathering I had incorporated.
I didn't have a room big enough, so a friend allowed me to use her large living room to lay out the fabric and green dress pattern. So that I could make sure it was all fitting properly. The final dress sewn together in white. As you can see, the sleeves a slightly longer, but not long enough to get in the way.
The laced up back... A front view. And on the bride, pre-hemmed. The dress was finished by another professional seemstress to ensure a perfect fit.