Putting it Together
Template Making Part 1
Template Making Part 2
Template Making Part 3
Putting it together
Belts, Straps and Buckles
I believe the
actual armor was two thick pieces of leather - the undermost
colored silver, to be seen as metal.
Trim and straps were first sewn to the uppermost portion of the leather and then the entire piece was sewn together.
For my husbands
armor, I chose cotton, intending to make it the pattern for the
costume we would eventually do in leather.
But as the project continued, I decided to add two additional layers of material
as well as Heat 'n' Bond abric glue to both stiffen and seal the layers together.
It is still up for debate if we will attempt this complicated piece in authentic material.
I first ironed flat all of my material, then used my templates to cut out the layers I needed.
Applying the heat
and bond to the outer layer before I cut out the design allowed
me to trace
directly on to the paper and then achieve a very neat line when I used an exacto knife to cut it out.
|Heat and Bond paper peels off very easily, leaving a shiney surface that is not sticky until heated again.||The Paint I used is silver fabric paint. I only painted the material that would show, because the heat and bond does not attach as well to paint.|
|This is a photo of three of the layers. The top two are already bonded.||This is after the entire bottom piece has been bonded together. The heat and bond will take a needle, though the package does not recommend it be sewn through.|
To save on my machine, I left the heat and bond well within the seam allowance
so I would not have to sew through it when finishing the edges.
PHOTO TO COME
The final layer I
sewed on the back after most of the buckles and straps were
I did it in a dark brown polyblend to reserve the orange cotton for the rest of the costume pieces.