Last update: March 16, 2010
concept dress was brown, but I went with green suede.
I found this beautiful
polyester fabric with a leaf texture to it.
According to the photos on Alleycatscratch.com the fabric is
silk with a paisley swirl pattern, but I fell in love with this fabric
as soon as I saw it and the color was perfect. (As was the price!)
I used the version C of McCall's 4083, lengthened the skirt
and added fullness. I also used gold braid on the sleeves instead of the cream
of the dress in the movie.
For the corset I used the
The Fashionable Past
I used gold thread to do the
cross-stiching so that it would
stand out more and dress it up a bit.
I didn't have the time or experience to do the
embroidery well and was going to use gold
trim, but just didn't think it looked good enough.
Which is how I first came across the idea of fabric paint embroidery.
I did it on strips of fabric
that I sewed on because if I made a mistake,
I didn't want it to stick to the costume!
Tutorial for Fabric Paint Embroidery
Another Website with excellent references for this costume:
For a quick and dirty shield
maiden vest, this was made
from a snug T-shirt and gold fabric paint.